News:

Welcome to The NCH Garage!!!!

Main Menu

351 or 390

Started by Chauncey, February 20, 2012, 09:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chauncey

Hey peoples.  My bro is in search of a motor to replace the 302 that he's going to give to me.  We're thinking either a 351 or a 390.  Something that wouldn't be much of a hassle to put in.  It's a '68 Galaxie so there's probably plenty of room for either.  Anywho, not looking for anything fancy but would be nice to find a complete, running motor. 

If anybody's got anything or knows somebody who does, please let me know.  Thanks much!
Gnarpow!  A boardin' blog.  By dweebs, for dweebs.
http://gnarpow.blogspot.com/

hillbilly les

thinkin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ???

Krandall

Coroner

hillbilly les

is this a driver or sumpin to jist pound on???

Chauncey

Just a driver.  Probably cruise around town and what not.  Nothing special at all, just gotta run I think.

ImpinAintEasy

Talk to BadBird.....he ain't given stuff away tho. I don't think he has any 390's but maybe a 351.

OldMusher

If the vehicle is already using a 302, a 351W will bolt right in.  A 351C will "SORT OF" bolt in, and a 351/400 M will not bolt in.  The post-1965 289-351 W/C and the 240/300 straight 6 use the same 6-bolt bellhousing bolt pattern and the clutch/converter parts will interchange on the V8's.  351W and most 302's have a 28oz imbalance on the balancer and flywheel.  The "5.0" 302's (1981-1995) in Mustangs, T-birds, cougars, Capri....have a 50 oz. imbalance.  So...flywheels and balancers will only work on the appropriate engine year.

A 390 will need a different bellhousing/transmission and motor mounts.  the radiator will be too small.  Also, they are somewhat heavier than a 351W.  FE Ford motors (352-360-390-410-428-427) are lighter than people think they are.  Add aluminum heads, water pump, intake....and they are in the ballpark of an all-iron 351W.  A flathead V8 is about 80 pounds HEAVIER than a 302, and about 40 pounds heavier than a 351W.  Looks smaller, but has oodles of cast iron.

A 351W is a great motor:  Better oiling and low end torque than a 351C.  Light weight.  Strong bottom end.  Weak point:  Stock heads (ALL) have too small ports and valves to make serious power.   Port the stock heads and switch to bigger valves, aluminum hi-rise, 600-650 cfm carb, 50,000 volt ignition and a cam in the 226/234 degree, .500 lift range somewhere....  Will exceed 350 horse and the torque will be over 400 ft. Lb.  Cheap motor too.  That would be my choice.  

Whew!  Sorry to rattle on.  I have a host of Ford info, free for the asking.

Chauncey

:clap:

I appreciate the knowledge. Thanks. I'd say the 351 would be a perfect replacement then. Looking for something that's pretty straight forward and that sounds good. Definitely not looking to make anything crazy out of it. He hardly drives it as is.

While we're on the free Ford knowledge topic, said 302 his will be going into my BMW at some point. Got a T5 out of a Mustang for it. I think it needs the smaller tooth count flywheel with the smaller 28 oz counter balance? Sound close?

Thanks.

OldMusher

The "big" flywheel is 164 tooth, and the Mustang style is 157 tooth.  The smaller 5.0 bellhousing is already drilled for T-5 holes, and the 157 tooth will work for that.  Then the starter issue:  The manual trans and automatics have minor design differences.  If you use the Mustang (82-95) bellhousing and the T-5, get a manual trans starter.  Same price, and your different trade in starter should make an acceptable core charge reducer.  (same advice works for 351W.)  I've had 2 mustangs converted to 351 (1983 and 1985) and just about everything bolts right up where a 302 was, except the power steering bracket (if any)  The block decks on a 351 are about an inch taller than a 302, which explains the mismatch.  If you have a welder it takes about 10 minutes to shape up a bracket extension.  Otherwise, Ford stocks them.

Just a reminder, though...the 5.0 style 302's are 50 ounce.  ALL 351W are 28 oz, so your flywheel needs to be also.    Pulleys won't line up??  Ford makes several sizes of pulley spacers for the crank pulley.

The T-5 5-speed is only rated to 330 lb ft.  Any good running 351W will be 50 lb ft past that or more.  If you shift smoothly and NEVER RUN SLICKS, you will be all right.  They are cheap and plentiful...but...don't slip up and get a 4-cyl or early V6 or Chevy T-5.  they are weaker, and the ratios are all wrong for something with torque.  The chevy version won't match up with the pilot bushing in the back of the crank.