News:

Welcome to The NCH Garage!!!!

Main Menu

1964 Ford F100 (Pretty Fly For a Ry-Guy)

Started by NCHKustoms, December 07, 2016, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCHKustoms

Picked up another 1964 F100 a few months back from a guy about 20 minutes away. The truck originally came from Montana. It didnt have an engine.. looked like it had been sitting for quite sometime. When he had it it was stored inside but it was still filled with dry leaves and sticks.. whatever fell on it haha.

My goal is to have a really sweet truck that i can have forever.. I want to take my time and make sure everything is put together well. Looking to have a nice comfy ride.. yet wanting to have some fun on winding roads too!

So.. I begin..

I started taking it apart about a month ago now.. tore off the front clip and found tons of leaves, Montana dirt and a small rust hole in the core support. No biggy! The truck came with a second front clip! Seeing as the fenders on the original front clip had rust holes the size of a softball and were a little banged up..

Next was the box.. took the bolts out.. took the bumper off.. that was the easy part.

Next was the cab.. Un-did the steering and removed the steering wheel. Took off the doors. Lifted the cab off.. smashed my finger.. the usual.. Continued on taking the other random things apart on the cab, headliner.. dash.. gas tank.. there was no seat, one lesss thing to worry about :)  Cab also needs cab mounts and a small peice of floor on each side.. which i know when i bought it.. passenger side needs a cab corner also.

I picked up a 'new' passenger side door about a month ago from a guy in Blaine, MN who had it on a parts truck he was parting out. Its nice! Except for the holes where the trim once was. Those will get filled.

I FINALLY found a box side on eBay a few weeks ago too, since the passenger side of the box looked like it had been sideswiped at some point in its life.. Those things are hard to come by! I couldnt find a whole box.. at least not in my budget.. so just a side is fine. I bought it from a guy in Portland, OR. 3 weeks ago and it finally showed up this last Monday! YAY!!

Next thing I tore apart was the front suspension.. Out with the I-Beam!! Out with the drum brakes!! No leafs!! The brackets for the leaf springs were kind of a pain.. they used huge rivets. Must have been 3/8" or 1/2"? Im not sure i didnt measure.. a few cutting wheels and grinding disks later, front is off!!

Im going to try and tackle the rear end this weekend and remove the crusty 9" and leafs.. more cutting and grinding..

Hopefully in a few weeks i can finally get a somewhat 'dry' weekend and haul the thing to get sand blasted.

Also in a few weeks I am looking to order the front suspension and hopefully the rear at the same time.

What im thinking about getting is a TCI brand Mii front suspension and a TCI brand 4 link in the rear.. I was once thinking of Heidts.. BUT I saw TCI offers free shipping and both kits are pretty similar and i can still get the good upgrades like wilwood 12" brakes, coil over shocks and power rack like i was hoping.

A few months out im planning on ordering some new shoes for the rig as well. Looking at US Mags. Going to go with 18" all the way around with 9" wide rims in the front and 12" wide in the back.

And i still havent decided yet.. powder coat or paint the frame.. hmmmmm probably paint. Its more in my budget.. haha

That about sums it up for now! Ill try to keep somewhat current on here! AND Ill get some photos too if i can remember how to do it.

Thats all, stay tuned!
   :thumbs: 
NCH Kustoms-Custom Painting Since 2008
www.thench.com
.................................____
.................__________|___\_____
..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)____|____/_(O)|

Proud Ford Granada owner

NCHKustoms

So a little update... i finally got the rear suspension taken out.  After a few more cutting wheels and some grinding. It took a little time but all of the mounts for the old leafs are gone. Cut out the old motor mount blah blah blah. Next step! Sandblast time!

I also finally ordered the front suspension. I called up FabQuest from NV and the guy was super awesome! (Dave) He sounded like a California surfer dude hahaha. But anyways, it comes with a new crossmember, tranny mount, adjustable coil over shocks, 12" Wilwood brakes with drilled and slotted rotors, motor mounts for the 351w, power rack, new steering column and the rag joint/set-up. I cant wait for it to show up!! 

I also realized that the new box side that showed up was from an 8' box.. crap.. oh well.. i guess ill have to do some trimming! yay!! 8)

NCH Kustoms-Custom Painting Since 2008
www.thench.com
.................................____
.................__________|___\_____
..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)____|____/_(O)|

Proud Ford Granada owner

Krandall

Quote from: NCHKustoms on December 19, 2016, 07:36:33 PM
So a little update... i finally got the rear suspension taken out.  After a few more cutting wheels and some grinding. It took a little time but all of the mounts for the old leafs are gone. Cut out the old motor mount blah blah blah. Next step! Sandblast time!

I also finally ordered the front suspension. I called up FabQuest from NV and the guy was super awesome! (Dave) He sounded like a California surfer dude hahaha. But anyways, it comes with a new crossmember, tranny mount, adjustable coil over shocks, 12" Wilwood brakes with drilled and slotted rotors, motor mounts for the 351w, power rack, new steering column and the rag joint/set-up. I cant wait for it to show up!!  

I also realized that the new box side that showed up was from an 8' box.. crap.. oh well.. i guess ill have to do some trimming! yay!! 8)

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
:cn:
Coroner

Mrs. Hillbilly Les