News:

Welcome to The NCH Garage!!!!

Main Menu

Need A Truck - Buy or Borrow?

Started by Chauncey, September 26, 2010, 08:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chauncey

So the woman and I are heading to SD this next week, for almost a week, to visit the fam.  We're hoping to bring a car ('79 Buick) out to my brother for his birthday.  We originally planned on driving both cars separately and then coming home in just the wagon.  However, the Buick has been parked for a couple years and we're somewhat hesitant to just fire it up and drive 5 hours.  So, the only other option I see would be to get a truck and trailer/car dolly and drag it out there.  Only downside of that is that we don't own a truck and I don't know anybody with a decent one that would let us a) use it to take a 4-5 hr trip to SD and b) keep it for the 5 days that we'll be there.

So here are my questions.  Is there anybody on here that has one or knows of somebody that has one and would be crazy enough to let us "rent" one for a couple days?  

OR, we've been kicking around the idea of buying a truck for a while for several reasons.  She used to have one, would like another.  We'd like to have something big to haul stuff every now and then and not have to borrow.  And it'd be nice to have a truck for winter and just other misc. truck uses.  Can anybody give us some tips to buying a used one that's not gonna crap out on us right away?

If we're gonna pay cash, our budget is right around $1000.  I found one the other day on my work route that's $1000 or BO. '94 F-150 Ext. Cab w/ 166,000 miles, 1-owner, 302.  A little rusty, like any Ford of its vintage, needs new lockouts for the 4x4, cracked windshield, and probably needs a basic tune-up.  He also made it quite apparent over the phone that he'll only go down to about $900.

Found one last night on Craigslist - 1994 f150 ext cab. has 172,xxx 4x4 works great new tires with american racing rims. 302 engine with auto transmission. just replaced starter,fuel filter, spark plugs. interior is perfect condition. outside has some rust. would make a good hunting truck. price is negotiable (Listed at $1100)  Only downside to this one is it's in WI about 3 hours away.

Between those two, I'd say for 6k miles more we'd have working 4x4 and a couple new important parts, for almost the same price.  Drive 3 hours to get it, but maybe that's better?  I know at this price we're not gonna find anything super nice, but that's not really what we're looking for either.  Something that's not a complete rust bucket, preferably Ford (just cuz, I guess), in nice enough shape to not look like total crap but that we don't have to care too much about, and something that'll last a couple years I guess.  We're not looking for a daily driver, and if it is going to be, she'll probably drive it all of a mile to work everyday.  If anybody knows of one around you that's for sale and fits our "needs", please let me know.  Would very much appreciate it.

We're going to go test drive the first one sometime this evening, then maybe check out the second one tomorrow if we can.  We're both off work until NEXT Monday so we've got 2-3 days to get it taken care of.  If anybody's got anything and would like to get a hold of me, my number's 320-282-6767.

THANKS MUCH!
Gnarpow!  A boardin' blog.  By dweebs, for dweebs.
http://gnarpow.blogspot.com/

Chauncey

Also found this one last night, too.  Only 2-wheel drive, but seems like a decent truck otherwise.  Little bigger engine, lot of fresh parts, from AZ.

1986 Ford f250 2 wheel drive for sale today truck has a 351 windsor engine new tune up(plugs wires cap rotor )carb is newer new brake lines in the rear 2 new wheel cylinders in rear new starter both ujoints have been replaced on driveshaft truck has 108,000 actual miles on it originally from arizona 1000.00 obo call 7152181574 ask for joe was purchased for a work truck but found a 4x4 truck instead so dont need this truck anymore thanks Joe

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto/1951276749.html

Krandall

Coroner

Chauncey

Expensive.  Craig and I rented one to move him from Blaine to Woodbury.  It was a total rip off.  I can't imagine having to use one for 4-5 hours.  They charge by the mile and you have to pay for gas in the beastly truck, plus we'd probably have to get a car dolly on top of that.  We were thinking we'd probably just have to rent a car dolly from them if we had a truck, tho.  I guess there's a U-haul place in Brookings where we could drop it off.

Chauncey

So, in a complete change of plans operation "Buy a Truck" has been put on hold.  We cruised around the countryside today looking for trucks in need of a new home.  After several hours of being rejected by high prices we decided to call it quits.  Put the money towards paying off the rest of my student loan instead, which is definitely gonna be a nice boost to my credit score at least.  Also a nice monkey off my back.

So anywho, we definitely don't have the "cash" to go buy a truck anymore, but are still more than willing to pay to borrow somebody's.  However, it'd have to be relatively soon as we are hoping to leave sometime tomorrow.  Most likely just gonna end up calling it quits with the whole original operation and just gonna have to make another trip sometime in a few weeks after I get laid off or something.

Krandall

How bad is the car? Drive it, if it dies and you're to far out. worse case scenario. Bring a gas can and a match. be cheaper than driving a truck out there and back.
Coroner

Krandall

Coroner

Chauncey

Not yet.  Still gonna try to get it towed out there instead.  Then the bro-ski can do the work himself.  I'm already getting him the car for free anyways. 

Anywho, I think we're in cahoots with P.Chop to use his diesel sometime in the near future.  Otherwise we're still looking for a truck to purchase.  Found a couple nice ones on Craig's last night.  Just gotta make a decision I guess.

Krandall

Coroner